
State house rotunda

Boston Massacre

Ferrari (red)

Liz posing in awe

John Otis' grave. strange fellow. and george the shoemaker

pretty horsy
We took a trip to Boston recently. I can still here the "whines" of my children who didn't want to go because it was a beautiful sunny day at home and they wanted to play outside etc etc. The ride up was uneventful. Not alot of traffic, and Kutless on the radio. We packed our lunch and decided not to take the T but rather to park at the Commons as the mapquest said it was close to our destination, the State House. I did not know what to expect, but I love the city and knew it would be fun. The kids have only been to the science museum, Boston Garden and the Otis House in Boston so they weren't sure this was the best way to spend their beautiful sunny warm day with mom.
We drove into the city, me with high expectations. Parked under the Commons and walked across the park to the State House around 10:00am. We were strip searched, ha, just kidding. They made you walk through a metal detector which was hilarious as my kids had to ask about each thing they had on, if it was ok and "what do I do now, Mom?". We had lots of stuff so it was quite comical. I was glad Brandon had not brought along a pocket knife or that I didn't have my sewing scissors. I have heard those horror stories.
Upon arrival, we found our way to the Dorit Hall to pick up our Scavenger hunt paperwork. The kids and I kind of just stood under the rotunda looking up and lost spinning around like you see on TV. We had lots of questions to answer on our sheet and two packages to deliver to our legistlaters containing home schooling paraphernalia. On the bags was the name and room number of our Senator and Representative. We had to find them deliver the package, and ask some questions. I did not see the room number on the bag. So we walked and walked all over looking for where we were suppose to make these deliveries. The place is big and beautiful. We learned a ton of info, trivia, where the bathrooms are, etc. Finally as we were getting ready for our tour, we noticed the room numbers. You are able to go just about anywhere in the building so we headed to the fifth floor. Which had long hallways and elevators everywhere and was kind of creepy. No offense to anyone who works there of course. Since the House was getting ready to meet I expected to drop off our package with the secretary of Rep John Quinn. Lizzie's former soccer coach and our state rep. He just happened to be all alone walking down a long hallway. I would not have recognized him had he not been her coach so long ago which makes me even fonder of God's providence once more. I blumbered through a short little prepared speech as if he was a famous tv star. Oh, uh, hi, uh, we need to give you this package, uh, for our scavenger hunt, uh der, you were my daughters soccer coach a long time ago, etc etc. you get the embarrassment. Brandon was ducking. Liz was giggling. It was awesome. I love this bonding stuff.
Anyway, on to the house. We met at the House of Representatives to see it in session around noon. As soon as we sat down and looked around in awe, wrote down some quick answers to questions, it started. And as soon as it started, it ENDED. Yes, we prayed, pledged the flag and the speaker gentleman got up did a little speech which sounded like an auction guy and said "all in favor say aye, everyone did and they dismissed. The guard came to dismiss us and that was it. I guess they were convening till 12:30 for some odd reason. ok.
We left for lunch in our car in the parking garage. Kind of weird for a beautiful sunny day in Boston Common to eat underground in the garage but we were time constrained.
We hopped up the stairs to our Freedom Trail tour with an awesome guide named George who had been dead for hundreds of years, and proceeded on an awesome tour of Boston where we learned so much stuff I could type another book. We ended up at Fanueil Hall where my kids were in awe of the food. We bought a cookie. (That is all, dear husband) Watched a guy play drums out of buckets while people threw money at him, (I am in the wrong business) and left around 4:00pm to head to IKEA for dessert. Yes, Lizzie's favorite restaurant is a furniture store. Don't ask...That was our awesome day. Here are some pics. That was a lot of typing....though now I have it out of my system. 



2 comments:
WOW! so this was yesterday? what fun! wow. I still can't believe you wrote so much. And I, too, have heard horror stories of people unknowingly bringing weapons through security ;-)
Sounds like an awesome day!
That was a full day for sure but sounds like it was lots of fun too! :)
Post a Comment